Participating AIGA Student Members: FREE
Participating Non-Member Students: $20
Friends, Family & Observers: $20
About Portfolio Review
How Reviewing Works
Students display their work on 6' long tables. There is open reviewing time to allow Reviewers to see all the tables. There are two 40-minute sessions that are for one-on-one reviews.
How Students and Reviewers Are Matched
All Reviewers are asked to select the top three categories they prefer to review. Reviewers are assigned one category from their top three choices to review.
How Judging Works
Judges cast 4 votes: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in Overall (all categories). The 4th vote is for the top selection in the category they have reviewed.
For Participating Students
Registration Fees and Deadlines
AIGA Student Members: FREE
Non-Member Students: $20
Online registration will be open Wednesday May 9, 2018 at 9:00 a.m.–Sunday May 13, 2018 at 9:00 p.m. This process is first-come, first-served, and it is highly suggested that you plan to be available to log in as early as possible.
Reviewer Selection List
Download a copy of the 2018 Reviewer Bio Selection list here to better prepare for online registration on Wednesday May 9. Reviewers will most likely judge in the first category listed, but this is subject to change.
Friday, May 18, 2018 2:30 p.m.–6:30 p.m. (doors locked at 6:30 p.m.)
University of San Diego
Kroc Institute of Peace & Justice
5998 Alcalá Park
San Diego, CA 92110
You may use the loading dock to unload, and then you must move your car and return to set up. You will have complimentary parking for two hours in the parking lot at the bottom of the West Entrance. Do not park in lots at the top of the hill.
6' x 24" and approx. 30" from the floor.
In the past the portfolio displays have been large backdrops that create a booth-like design for your work and portfolio. Due to environmental and time considerations we will not longer be allowing this. The review will be shifting to be more focused on the actual portfolio book or website as well as projects that are displayed and not focused on the presentation and decoration oriented display items. We would like students to focus on their portfolio book or website, projects that can sit flat on the table, and the table covering itself. Shelving solutions for packaging and products will be allowed, but their scale will be restricted. Large point of purchase or shelving solutions will be considered, but we want to keep these to a minimum.
Each participating student must:
• use the assigned table provided. If at the end of the event there are any damages to the table or surrounding area (wall, carpet, etc.), you will be held financially responsible.
• bring your own table covering.
• not display anything over the max height limit of 35 inches above the table top. You will be asked to remove any items above this height.
• no portion of your display (shelving, etc,) can be wider than 2 feet (includes TV/monitors).
• not play background music.
• not put fire related objects such as candles etc., on the tables.
• not display/hand out any edibles.
Each participating student may:
• display personal promotional items.
• use shelves, purchased or built, to prop up 3D projects as long as they fit the size requirements listed above.
• display business cards and resumes on the table.
• request access to "plug-in."
Any participant who does not conform to display regulations listed above will need to readjust their presentation accordingly or be disqualified from the scholarship competition.
Schedule May 19, 2018
For Participating Students
Give yourself ample time to park and arrive at the Rotunda for check-in. Parking is open on campus on Saturday. Do not park in any reserved spaces or garages. Tickets are given if parked illegally.
• 8:30–9:00 a.m. Student registration is open. Small changes and technology can be added to tables.
• 9:15 a.m. Students must be at their tables.
• 9:20 a.m. Review #1
• 10:00 a.m. Break and time to network with professionals
• 10:40 a.m. Review #2
• 11:20 a.m.–1:00 p.m. Student mingle time and fun outside. Lunch will be served.
• 1:00 p.m. Review is open to Friends, Family & Observers
• 2:00 p.m. Awards
• 3:00 p.m. Clean up tables.
For Friends, Family & Observers
1-3 p.m. Review is open to Family, Friends & Observers.
Please check your email for your schedule.
See Past Portfolio Review Winners
2017 Portfolio Review
2016 Portfolio Review
2015 Portfolio Review
Category Award Sponsors
• 1st Place: Visual Asylum ($1000)
• 2nd Place: TBD ($750)
• 3rd Place: Art Center ($500)
• Advertising: Clove St Press ($250)
• Branding: Buchanan Design ($250)
• Cross Cultural Design: Abe Vizcarra ($250)
• Design for Good: Bex Brand ($250)
• Designer as Entrepreneur: FreshForm ($250)
• Environmental: Visual Asylum ($250)
• Handcrafted: Bennett Peji ($250)
• Illustration: Don Hollis ($250)
• Interactive: FreshForm ($250)
• Packaging: MiresBall ($250)
• Publication: Susan Merritt ($250)
• Typography: Bulldog Drummond ($250)
• Studio Conover ($250)
• Photo Booth: Enormously ($375)
• WongDigital ($100)