AIGA SD is heading towards the Julian mountains this month… although it is an hour drive from San Diego, it will be so worth it with possible snow, epic views, dense forest, and for whoever is up for it: apple pie! After the hike, we will drive for a few miles north into the town of Julian and have some of their famous apple pie.
There is a $10 parking fee at the Campground Day Use parking lot, so please bring cash or, even better, sign up for carpooling!
Where: Cuyamaca Peak Loop, Julian
When: Saturday, March 31 at 8 a.m.
Distance: 7.7 miles, approximately 4 hours
Difficulty: Moderate (strenuous for about 1/2 mile)
Elevation Change: 1,833 feet
Meet at: Paso Picacho Campground (Day Use Parking Lot $10), 13652 CA-79, Julian, CA 92036 (map)
Directions & Parking:
1. From I-8 east, drive for approximately 33.6mi
2. Exit CA-79N/Japatul Valley Rd toward Julian
3. Continue on CA-79N for 2.7mi and keep left to stay on CA-79N
4. Continue on CA-79N for 9.2mi
5. Paso Picacho campground is on the left
6. Pay the parking fee at the kiosk and park in the Day Use parking on the right
Email Petra to sign up here: firstname.lastname@example.org Interested in carpooling? Let me know in the email.
Please wear appropriate shoes, bring plenty of water, sun protection and a snack. There might be snow and strong winds, so dress in layers. Remember, hike at your own risk.