Recently redeveloped, this newly popular yet challenging trail will take us through several ecosystems before leading to the main event – three large waterfalls wedged between tall, rocky mountains. Although the hiking to the first two falls covers fairly easy terrain, those interested in mountain climbing or a more challenging trail will still enjoy some elements, particularly if choosing to hike to the third waterfall.
• take at least a gallon of water
• bring plenty of sunblock and a hat
• hiking shoes
Keep in mind the combination of heat (if the weather is warm), and the steady incline heading back from the falls, makes this hike more challenging.
Where: Hike Three Sisters Waterfall Trail, Descanso
When: Saturday, June 2 at 8 a.m.
Distance: 4 Miles, approximately 3-4 hours
Elevation Change: 1036 Feet
Meet at: 14850 Boulder Creek Rd, Descanso, CA 91916 (map)
Directions & Parking:
1. From Interstate 8
2. Take exit 40 for CA-79 N/Japatul Valley Rd, turn left toward Julian
3. After 1.3 miles turn left on Riverside Drive
4. Continue straight onto Oak Grove Dr
5. Turn right onto Boulder Creek Rd
6. Turn right to stay on Boulder Creek Rd. Follow Boulder Creek Road north for 13.0 miles (the first half is paved and the rest is dirt) to a hairpin turn where unpaved Cedar Creek Road joins from the west. Park there, at the 3 Sisters waterfalls Hike Trailhead taking care not to block traffic.
Email Petra to sign up here: email@example.com Interested in carpooling? Let me know in the email.
Please wear appropriate shoes, bring plenty of water, sun protection, and a snack. Remember, hike at your own risk.