The application submission period has ended.
Apply for a chance to be part of AIGA San Diego’s spectacular Projecting Futures showcase held during San Diego Design Week.
The application deadline is now extended through Saturday, August 21, 2021, at 6pm PST!
PROJECTING FUTURES looks at design and its power to connect, inspire and act. Developed as part of San Diego Design Week, this is AIGA San Diego’s second year developing this digital showcase in partnership with local designers from San Diego and Tijuana. Works will be projected onto the façade of the Spreckels Organ Pavilion* featuring a range of motion design – from kinetic typography, to motion graphics, to video – and set to a special soundtrack provided by the San Diego Youth Symphony.
This special outdoor showcase will guide viewers through a dynamic design exploration through themes of education, transformation, resilience, connection, balance, and play.
Along with a feature in the main showcase, selected designers will also have an opportunity to have their art produced as postcards with our chapters print sponsor, Neyenesch Printers.
Learn more below and apply today!
Spreckels Organ Pavilion is located in Balboa Park.
2125 Pan American Rd E, San Diego, CA 92101
John D. and Adolph Spreckels donated the Spreckels Organ, one of the world's largest outdoor pipe organs, to the City of San Diego in 1914 for the Panama-California Exposition. This unique organ contains 4,530 pipes ranging in length from the size of a pencil to 32 feet and is housed in an ornate vaulted structure with highly embellished gables. It is open to the public and is a fully outdoor venue.
Qualifying artwork will be projected onto the center area of the pavilion. Designers should take into consideration that any work presented will affect the reputations of Balboa Park, Spreckels Organ Pavilion, San Diego Youth Symphony, San Diego Design Week, and AIGA San Diego.
*Showcase venue remains tentative due to COVID restrictions and City permitting.
How to Apply
For the opportunity to have your work in the showcase, designers must submit a Request for Qualification application. Below are items listed that you will need to prepare for your application submission.
Extended through Saturday, August 21, 2021 6pm PST!
Designer Selection Announced Via Email
Monday, August 23, 2021
Full-Priced Application Fee: $30
Member Discounted Application Fee: $20
Student Application Fee*: $15 with code STUDENTNOW
*To receive Student rate, must be currently enrolled in an academic institution.
The application fee is non-refundable and will be used towards the showcase costs and program expenses.
If you would like support or assistance with your application fee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to Prepare for Your Application
1. Designer Statement: BRIEFLY describe your interest and qualifications for this project. Describe your experience and the concept for the work you would include in the showcase.
2. Designer’s Response to the Following:
- Design means _______________.
- 3 words that describe your work:
3. Resume: Please include a current PDF resume or CV, which outlines your experience in graphic design, motion design, animated graphics, kinetic typography, or video.
4. Three (3) to five (5) images or videos of completed past work.
Images must be prepared as follows:
- All work must be uploaded as one (1) zip file.
- Images and video accepted. Please submit only jpg files for images.
- Please size each image to be no more than 2MB in file size; videos should be less than 200MB. (Links to videos are also acceptable.)
- File Name: Images MUST be titled in the following manner:
Last Name, First Name, number corresponding to the image description sheet (For example: YuMax01; YuMax02; etc.). Collaborative design groups should begin their image title with their group name or the last name of each member. (For example: YuLopezJackson01; YuLopezJackson02; etc.).
5. Annotated Image List to include the following: Title of work, Dimensions, Medium, Year of Completion, Location, up to a three (3) sentence description.
6. One (1) Professional Reference: Include name, address, email address, and phone number of a professional reference.
Any professional designer or agency is eligible to apply. If designers are applying as a team, the team should be declared in the Designer Statement, specifying a team leader to receive notifications. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
As an organization, AIGA San Diego is committed to providing a positive, safe, diverse, inclusive, uplifting, and respectful experience for the community through this showcase. We will not tolerate any hate speech or discrimination of any kind. We will not engage with work that promotes highly controversial issues, uses controversial tactics to advocate their position, represents faith-based organizations or religious programs, or features extreme works that intentionally damages or threatens people.
Jury & Evaluation Criteria
While AIGA San Diego welcomes all submissions, preference will be given to local designers residing in San Diego County or Baja California, Mexico.
PROJECTING FUTURES committee will review all applications. The final selection will be made by the PROJECTING FUTURES director and committee members. AIGA San Diego has sole discretion as to the number of works that will be accepted and included in the final showcase.
Submissions will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Does the designer have experience in motion design?
- Does the designer live in San Diego or Baja California?
- Does designer’s work explore any of the following themes in a unique way: education, transformation, resilience, connection, balance, or play?
- Does the designer’s work show community-mindedness, positivity, and diversity?
- Does the designer’s work exemplify design excellence?
- Did the designer follow the production and upload requirements?
Questions or Assistance
If you have any questions or need any assistance, please email: email@example.com